Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Helping Nepal

Dear Friends,

The people of Nepal are in need of help. A massive earthquake, with nearly 50 aftershocks, has torn Kathmandu and its valley apart. Back in 2004, I spent the first half of the year as a volunteer teacher with the people in the village of Bistachaap. In my opinion, they were and remain some of the finest folk I have ever encountered. Now their village is leveled and its people without shelter. What follows is a plea for those who are able to help to please do.



Pictured below amidst the pile of do gooders is Raj Silwal. One of the two brothers who invited me into their home. They are both heroes and have been working in humanitarian non-profits for years.


Raj has set up a crowd source fundraiser for his village listing the details of its size, damage done, and the realities of what will be needed to provide temporary shelter and rebuild.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FUNDRAISER WEBPAGE

When there in 2004, my friend Charles Devenish and I were able to gather some funds for our school. With it we constructed a DIY solution to the two mile round trip to the nearest water source. The kids had a blast.


Even got some bricks in.


CLICK HERE FOR THE FUNDRAISER WEBPAGE

I still carry the lessons learned in that village and they need help now.









My heart especially goes out to these two magnificent women who laughed as I learned to eat with my hand, and cried the day I left. Help Bistachaap rise from the ruble. Any bit helps.


CLICK HERE FOR THE FUNDRAISER WEBPAGE

CLICK HERE FOR THE FUNDRAISER WEBPAGE

CLICK HERE FOR THE FUNDRAISER WEBPAGE

www.follownorth.com






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing it Paul.
    I'm glad to see these photos too. It brings back all those old memories.
    Regards,
    Raj

    ReplyDelete